Meeting with Prime Minister
June 15, 2020
Posted by: AmCham Haiti
Prime Minister Jouthe Joseph granted a requested videoconference on Monday, June 15, 2020 by the
President of Amcham Haiti, Mr. Laurent Saint Cyr.
The discussions revolved around the 2019-2020 national budget. The major points debated were the
- Increase in excise duties impacting companies operating in non-alcoholic beverages, alcoholic
beverages and tobacco sectors, the consequences of these measures on these sectors of activity
and on the economy.
- Significant increase in tax rates from one fiscal year to the next, and parity rates imposed on
domestic production and imported products.
- Low allocation made to certain key ministries such as tourism, agriculture and the interior.
- Discussion of some state subsidies such as one affecting the energy sector.
- Tax rate on employees unchanged for 15 years.
- Concern over the contraction of the economy, the accelerated depreciation of the gourd and
the high inflation rate.
The Prime Minister has informed us that they are considering granting a moratorium until September 30
2020 on the entry into force of these new excise duties for local producers. A memorandum was sent to
the Directors General of DGI and Customs in order to continue the application of the rates in effect
during the previous fiscal year.